21 March 2008

Dawn: The Hut Trip (1)

The best thing I could think to do in the first hours of 2008 was to hike from 6500' to 11300' on a snow-covered mountain in Colorado. I had never been to Colorado, never hiked with a pack, nor even worn snowshoes. It sounds like a horrible idea on paper.

I vaguely attempted to train for this adventure by hiking some trails in the canyons of Los Angeles and infrequently going to the gym. As a city-dweller who works in an office and spends two hours a day in the car, this attempt was downright sad. Nevertheless I bought my plane tickets with resolute internet clicks and spent most of the holiday season outlining my winter plans to my friends and family with determination and pride. I didn't come home with a new hair style, piercing, or tattoo- just a crazy plan to stomp up a mountain with my friends for the sheer hell of it. So, with the tested and true support of my sisters and parents, I flew to Colorado at the dead end of December 2007, incredibly ready to start a new year.

The entire trip was based on a framework of stories Haley had shared with me of her family's past hut trips. I immediately accepted her invitation to visit her family in Colorado and do one of these trips, which apparently involved storytelling, games, welcome intoxication, and wood-burning stoves. I don't think either of us knew how serious I was about going. This resolution flowed through me, and it spread into my boyfriend Josh and our mutual friend Dara. These three friends- Haley, Dara, and Josh- had most significantly and positively affected my LA existence in the past two years, and our hut trip plans grew as organically as our friendship: it was obvious.

We three found ourselves in Colorado on the morning of the trek, filled with oatmeal, stretching and packing and beseeching nature and our bodies to be kind to us that day.

No comments: